"How much do you think your life will change if Google disappears tomorrow?
Google has been serving billions of people around the world for 2 decades, and as they celebrate their 20th anniversary, let’s take a look at 20 things you did not know about Google.
20 things you did not know about the Search Engine Giant
- Its original name was “Backrub”
- Google’s name comes from the mathematical term ‘GOOGOL’
- The original “I’m feeling lucky’ option cost the Search Engine giant up to $110 Million per year
- The first Google Doodle was inspired by Burning Man
- Google made an agreement with NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) in exchange for a private runway
- The Company owns common misspellings of its own names www.gooogle.com, www.goggle.com and www.googlr.com
- They rent goats to mow the lawn of their headquarters
- The Founders were not happy when “Google” was added to the dictionary — in 2006 the Merriam Webster and Oxford English dictionary included the definition for Google for the first time
- There are over 2.3 Million Google searches per second, over 100 Billion searches per month and over 2 trillion searches annually
- Jeff Bezos, the founder, and CEO of Amazon was one of their first investors.
- Stanford University holds the patent to Google’s Page-rank algorithm
- In January 2017. Google was fined $5 Billion for violating anti-trust laws by the European Union Regulators for manipulating their search result.
- You can set your Google language to Klingon, Elmer Fudd, Pirate, and other unique options.
- Yahoo, Altavista, and Excite all declined to buy Googe for $1 Million, but today the Search Engine giant is worth over a $100 Billion.
- They replaced Apple as the most valuable brand in the world in 2017
- They bought Youtube in 2006 for $1.65 Billion
- PACMAN — In 2010, to celebrate PACMAN 30th Anniversary, the Search Engine giant brought the 1980’s classic to its search page – just type PACMAN in the search box, press ‘ENTER’, click to play and that’s it. You can use the scroll keys on your keyboard as controls.
- CALCULATOR – You need a scientific calculator on the go, just type CALCULATOR in the search box, press ‘ENTER’ and that’s it.
- Through their search box you can roll a dice for board games, mathematical calculations etc, also you can flip a coin. All you need to do is type the words in the search box and press ‘ENTER’
- ATARI BREAKOUT – in 2013, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of ATARI’s game ‘Breakout’, just like PACMAN, the Search Engine giant made ‘BreakOut’ playable from search. For this to work, you need to do an image search. Type the word ‘Atari Breakout’ in the search box and select the Images option. For controls, you can use your mouse or scroll keys on your keyboard.
Google goes beyond what meets the eye, we celebrate them and appreciate them for the 20 years of great service and we expect more and greater achievements from them.